It’s amazing to use Ubuntu server as a network servers with Microsoft Windows Servers. I’m going to install Ubuntu server on hyper-v and trying to use this for my network infrastructure servers.
First of all download Ubuntu Server for Ubuntu official website. Currently Ubuntu server 15.10 is the latest version of Ubuntu Server, including the Liberty release of OpenStack and support for nine months – 64-bit only. For long term support of Ubuntu, download the Ubuntu Server 14.04.3 LTS.
Ubuntu virtual machines on Hyper-V
Fortunately Hyper-v support most of the Linux distributions such as Ubuntu, CentOS, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Debian, Oracal Linux, Suse, FreeBSD etc. I recommend to your read “Best Practices for running Linux on Hyper-V” topic also. This document contains a list of recommendations for running Linux virtual machine on Hyper-V.
Install Ubuntu Server on Hyper-v
In or order to install Ubuntu Server on Hyper-v, create a hyper-v virtual machine and put the downloaded Ubuntu serve image on DVD drive and run it. If you are new in Hyper-v, read the bellow articles:
- Hyper-v Beginner: A Practical Guide to Virtualization: Introduction and Installation of Hyper-v
- Essential Hyper-V Configuration: Creating Virtual Machine and Hyper-v network configuration.
- How to Connect Hyper-v Machines to Internet?
Follow the article or watch the Ubuntu Server installation video tutorial at the end of this article.
1. Start Ubuntu Server virtual machine on hyper-v, on the Language page select your language.
2. Select Install Ubuntu Server and press enter. This will normally install Ubuntu server on your hyper-v server.
3. Once again select the language. I don’t know why it ask twice for selecting languages? This selected language will be the default language of installed system.
4. Select you location to detect your time zone. Your country list might not be in this shortlist, select Other to find your country.
5. Select Yes to detect automatically you keyboard or No to select it manually.
7. I have selected No, and want to select country of origin for the keyboard manually. Select your language and press enter. On the next page, select the layout matching the keyboard for your machine and press enter. I have select English US.
8. Let the system load all additional components.
Note: If the virtual machine will not detect DHCP server for getting IP address, the network auto-configuration will be fail. You must configure network interface manually.
9. My Ubuntu server virtual machine is connected to an external network card and assigned IP address by a Wireless device DHCP. Now pick up a host name related to your network production and Continue.
10. Type the full name of user then enter to Continue. On next page type a User Name.
11. Type a strong and complex password for security reason.
12. You may need to encrypt your home directory to secure your system, but for this testing lab I have select No.
13. For Ubuntu server hard disk configuration you can create partitions manually but for ease of configuration, I have chosen Guided – use entire disk and set up LVM.
14. Press enter and go to finalize the hard disk configuration.
15. Select Yes to write and apply the changes to hard disk.
16. Select the amount of volume group to use for guided partitioning and enter to Continue.
17. Finally select Finish partitioning and write changes to disk and press enter to apply it.
18. Select Yes to write the changes to disks.
Do nothing, let the system create the partitions and copying system files until prompt about something else.
19. When ask you about Configure the package manager, press enter to Continue. This will take too much time to complete the installation. So be patient.
20. Select No automatic updates and press enter.
21. Currently don’t install any Server rules. We will install these server rules in a separate article. So just Continue.
22. Select Yes to install the GRUB boot loader on a hard disk.
23. Finally the Ubuntu server installation has been finished successfully.
The system will restart now and when up again, type your user name and password to login.
Install Ubuntu Server – Video Tutorial
If you don’t like to read this long article, watch this 5 minutes video tutorials of installing Ubuntu Server on Hyper-v on Youtube: https://youtu.be/KPhW5aT_IvM
The final words and convolutions of install Ubuntu Server on hyper-v. This is the simple way to install Ubuntu server. We did not had partitioned had disk manually. If you want to partition hard disk to choose the exact space for drives, read a bit about hard disk types and formats for Linux.
Hope you find this article helpful and informative for installing Ubuntu server. Please comment us your question and suggestion.