Forgot Windows 10 Password? How Do I Reset?
What to do if you forgot Windows 10 password? If you don’t have a password reset disk, you have to use other ways to access your computer. This tutorial explains 2 simple ways to reset forgotten Windows 10 password and regain administrator control over your PC. The methods work for all of the NT-based version of Windows – from Windows XP to Windows 10 or later. And yes, that includes Windows 8 and Windows 7.
Method 1: Using Ubuntu Live CD
Ubuntu is a free Linux-based Live CD that contains the password reset utility for you to reset forgotten Windows 10 password. Follow these steps:
1. Download the ISO image (about 1.5GB) of Ubuntu Desktop from this page, save it to your computer desktop.
2. Next, make a bootable CD by burning the ISO image to an empty CD. If you don’t have a CD/DVD burning tool, you can try the freeware ImgBurn.
3. Boot your Windows 10 computer with the CD. When you’re asked if you want to try Ubuntu or install Ubuntu on your PC. Click Try Ubuntu.
4. Open a terminal by clicking the Ubuntu logo in the top-left corner of the launcher, typing Terminal, and pressing Enter. Run the Sudo apt-get install chntpw command to install the password changing utility.
5. To change or reset windows user password, go to directory /Windows/System32/config then run sudo chntpw -u Administrator SAM.
6. You’ll be presented with several options to reset the password, unlock, enable & promote user account. Type 1 and press Enter.
7. Type q and then y to save your changes. Close the terminal and restart your computer. Don’t forget to remove the Ubuntu Live CD. You can then log into Windows 10 administrator without password!
Method 2: Using PCUnlocker
If you don’t have the password reset disk and don’t want to mess with your own system files, then using software like PCUnlocker is the way to go. PCUnlocker comes with a very simple GUI interface, even a computer novice can get it to work.
PCUnlocker can help you quickly get back into your computer in case you forgot Windows 10 password or lose access to a Windows account that got locked or disabled. No need to struggle to recall your password or waste your time doing a clean Windows reinstallation.
1. To get started, use a working PC to download PCUnlocker ISO image (about 180 MB), burn it to a disc or create a bootable USB drive using the freeware ISO2Disc.
2. After booting into PCUnlocker Live CD or USB drive, all of the Windows users will be displayed on the screen. Choose a user and click the Reset Password button to remove the password.
3. Reboot your computer and remove PCUnlocker Live CD or USB. You can now log into Windows 10 with a blank password.
That’s all there is do, and it is that easy to reset Windows 10 forgotten passwords. So what do you think of it? Do you think Ubuntu and PCUnlocker help you when you forgot Windows 10 password? Do share your thoughts using the comment form below.