It is a simple way to reset forgotten Ubuntu root password without any extra tools. As following the guide from the official Ubuntu lost password documentation, you must do the short process to reset the lost password of Ubuntu Linux.
- Reboot your computer.
- Hold Shift during boot to start GRUB menu.
- Highlight your image and press E to edit.
- Find the line starting with “linux” and append “rw init=/bin/bash” at the end of that line.
- Press “Ctrl + x” or “F10” to boot.
- Type in “passwd” username.
- Set your new password.
- Reboot system.
1. When you turn on your Ubuntu system, press Esc or Shift button to pause the GNU GRUB menu page. You can select navigate between options with keyboard arrow keys. Select the “*Ubuntu” and press “e” for editing.
2. After pressing the “e” you see the bellow screenshot. Try to find the exact code “ro quiet splash $vt_handoff” line and remove it.
3. Now replace this code “rw init=/bin/bash” and press “Ctrl +x” or “F10” to reboot the system and follow the process of resetting Ubuntu lost password.
4. Now the system will boot to a root shell command prompt. First, check your partition is in the read-write state by running the “mount | grep -w /” command. Type the command and press enter.
5. Finally, to reset forgotten Ubuntu root password, type “passwd” command and press enter. Then type the new password twice and reboot the Ubuntu system.
When the system reboot, on the login page you can log on the root user with newly entered password. That’s all you neet to reset forgotten Ubuntu root password without any tools.
Hope you enjoy this simple article for resetting lost password of all Ubuntu linux.
Searches related to reset forgotten ubuntu root password
ubuntu password reset authentication token manipulation error
ubuntu give root password for maintenance
ubuntu reset user password command line
ubuntu 14.04 password reset
ubuntu 16.04 password reset
ubuntu root password change
reset ubuntu password from guest account
ubuntu forgot password virtualbox