How to format External Hard Disk on Mac Correctly
Make external hard drive compatible with Mac, Windows and Linux devices. Format Hard Disk for Mac, Windows and Linux.
The formatting external hard drive is not the same on different operating systems. You can format external hard disk with an easy way in Windows and Linux. But for Mac OS devices is a bit tricky. You may wish to use an external FireWire or USB hard drive to store your Aperture Library, referenced images, or backup your computer files. Here are some suggestions on preparing the external hard drive for best performance with Aperture. Many external hard drives come pre-formatted as FAT 32. This is a native Windows file format that can be read by Mac OS devices but is not ideal for use with Aperture.
Format External Hard Disk on Mac
Make sure your external hard disk is connected to your Mac device correctly and the icon on the desktop appears.
- Be sure your drive is attached and mounted.
- If you have already written any data to the drive, back it up before proceeding to the next step.
- In the Finder, choose Go > Utilities. The /Applications/ Utilities folder will open.
- Launch Disk Utility.
- Click the icon for your external hard drive in the sidebar on the left.
- Or easy search the Disk Utility on the Launcher.
7. Now click the icon for your external hard drive in the sidebar on the left then click the Erase tab along the top of the window.
8. Finally, from the Volume Format menu, choose OS X Extended (Journaled) and type a name for the hard drive. Next step, just click the Erase button the format the hard drive for Mac OS Devices.
The ExFAT format will make the external hard drive compatible with Mac, Windows and Linux devices. But make sure you save remove or disconnect from the computer.
Related to how to format the disk in Mac
Format hard drive for Mac and Windows
Format internal hard drive Mac
Best format for external hard drive Mac
How to use external hard drive on Mac without formatting
How do you reformat a wd external hard drive for Mac?
USB format for Mac and Windows
How to make external hard drive Compatible with Mac and PC
How to format USB on Mac