How to Capture Windows 10 Reference Image using WDS?
Create and capture Windows 10 reference image is important because that image serves as the foundation for the devices in your organization. In this topic, you will learn how to capture Windows 10 reference image using WDS.
This image is the core operating system you need on your network environment. The image require all needed software for your Windows 10 clients to be installed. So before capturing Windows 10 image, make sure you update Apps and Windows with latest updates.
Capture Windows 10 Reference Image with WDS
Capture a Windows 10 image with Windows Deployment Services is easy if you would be familiar with Windows Deployment. Before applying this article, you need to have installed WDS on Windows Server. If you lab is ready for deploying Windows follow the article, otherwise read and apply the below articles to create your Deployment Server first.
- How to Install and Configure WDS In Windows Server 2012 R2?
- Configure Windows Deployment Services on Server 2012 R2
- Deploying Windows 10 Using WDS Server 2012 R2
- Customizing Windows Image Using DISM for Windows Deployment
So let’s begin to capture Windows 10 reference image.
1. Press Windows+R to open run and type Sysprep and run Sysprep. On the Sysprep tool select Enter System Out-of-Box Experience (OOBE) and select Generalize the click OK.
2. Once the Sysprep has complete, system will restart and boot it from Network. You must configure you system to boot from network. Just press F12 to go to Pexe.
3. Now select Capture Image to capture Windows 10 reference image or PC.
4. On the Welcome to Windows Deployment Services Image Capture Wizard page click Next.
5. Now select the directory where you want to capture, type image name and image description then click Next.
6. Select Name and Location or tick the check box of Upload image to a Windows Deployment Services server. When done click Connect and type user credential. Select Image Group name also then click Next.
7. This will take a long time to complete the process of capturing Windows reference PC.
8. When it has complete click Finish and restart your Windows 10 reference PC. Configure and select the reference PC language, time, user and password, because it has been completely out of box by executing Sysprep.
9. Go to Windows Deployment server and check the result of Windows 10 capturing. The Windows 10 captured image should be transferred successfully to WDS server.
OK, that’s all about to capture Windows 10 reference image with WDS and Windows Server 2016 or Server 2012 R2.
Capture Windows 10 Reference Image video tutorial
If you have any question let us know and how can we help you to solve your OS and App deployment problems in your production environment.